With its crystal clear Caribbean-like waters, Miami is a boater’s dream and a hot spot for speed boat tours. From out on Biscayne Bay, you get a beautiful view of the water’s sights, as well as the metropolis inland.
Through traditional rental companies you have the option to rent with a captain who can show you the area. Or you can fair the seas without one, and drive the boat yourself.
But through the more recent boat hire online platforms, you have the option of speaking directly with the boat owners for a more bespoke experience.
Either way, there is a speed boat option for everyone. And in this article, we have all the information you need to organise a speed boat experience off the shores of Miami.
What You Need To Know Before Renting
Renting a speed boat in Miami is not as straightforward as showing up and paying the fees, then hopping in your boat and driving off.
There are a few important things to know beforehand, and being clear on these will help you to avoid any last minute disappointment.
To rent a speed boat in Miami, you need:
- To be at least 18 years of age, with a valid form of photo ID If your birthday was after January 1st 1988, you also need to have a Florida Boaters Education Card (boating license). To get a Florida boating license, you must complete a boating course which has been approved by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission(FWC).
- If you are from another state, then you should have that state’s equivalent boating license card. However, if you do not have an equivalent license but are visiting Florida with the intention of renting a boat, then there is a work-around. The FWC allows visitors to sit a course for a temporary boater’s education card. If successfully passed, you will get a temporary boating license which is valid for 90 days. To sit the course you must be at least 18 years old. And at the moment there is a single course provider, Boat-Ed. You can find there course here
- The next things that you need are a valid form of photo ID, and a major credit card.
Along with the legal requirements, you should also consider:
- The price. The cheapest Miami speed boat rentals start at around $89 per hour.
- Do you need a captain? If everyone in your group just wants to chill out and enjoy the ride, then paying for a captain to drive you is the best choice. But, this will increase the price.
- Your group size. Have your numbers confirmed beforehand as there may be a minimum group-size requirement. And of course, there will always be a maximum number of people allowed per group.
- The weather — before heading to any Florida boat rental make sure that you check it. Great weather means smooth sailing, and smooth sailing means lots of fun!
Best Speed Boat Rental Companies
That’s the rules and requirements out of the way. Now, let’s look at the best speed boat rentals in Miami. There are some great companies renting a range of exhilarating speed boats, and you will be spoiled for choice.
1. Miami Rent Boat
Miami Rent Boat are a brilliant option for the budget party
that want to captain their own boat for a day of fun sailing out on the Miami waters. In their 20ft vessels you can easily explore the Biscayne Bay area. Travel through the small canals, by the sandbars, or even journey over to the local island.
For this self-drive boating experience, prices are affordable and groups can be a maximum of 8 people. Rentals can be from 2 to 8 hours in duration, and you must return before sunset.
Before setting out you will do a 15 minute orientation to get to grips with handling the boat. Once complete you are good to go.
Keep in mind that renters must be at least 21 years old, and your party must either pay a security deposit beforehand, or take out the company’s insurance policy. You also have the option of adding snorkelling and tubing gear, as well as a bottle of champagne to sip on.
Find them at Sea Isle Marina – Pier 5 in Downtown Miami. And make sure to send the local supplier a departure time confirmation text. Otherwise, there is no guarantee of boat availability. But do not worry, Miami Rent Boat will supply you with the contact details.
- Fuel included in the price.
- self-drive gives lots of privacy and freedom.
- An affordable group option.
- Full refund if cancelled at least 24 hours in advance of rental date.
- Not accessible to wheelchairs.
- No boat rental after sunset.
- If you plan on having drinks on the boat, then somebody will have to miss out on the fun as the designated captain.
Getmyboat is an ideal option for people who want a hassle free Miami speed boat rental with a captain.
Not a rental company themselves, but an online platform for finding boat rentals, Getmyboat works much like Airbnb. It allows you to speak directly with the boat owners, instead of going through a rental company that acts as a middle man between supplier and client.
The coolest thing about finding a Miami speed boat rental through Getmyboat is that each rental will be a unique experience. As you will usually be renting from the owner and captain themselves, your day will be based on their knowledge and experience with the Miami waters.
You can find all of the information relating to what is included and what isn’t, on each rental’s page. But if you need any extra info, include your questions when ending a booking enquiry.
There is a huge range of speed boats available to rent on Getmyboat, so no doubt that you and your group will find the perfect one.
- personalized service.
- Captain included.
- Captain is usually the boat owner, so you know you are in safe hands.
- high quality speed boats.
- speak directly to the boat owner.
- Captain’s fee not included in the price.
- Rental prices vary greatly. This means you will have to spend a little more time searching for the best deal.
- Must organize everything yourself.
3. Boat Rental Miami
With speed boats of all different sizes, speeds, and capacities, Boat Rental Miami could be the best option if your group has people of all ages (minimum age 21) and sizes.
The shortest trip is a 60 minutes action-packed VIP speed boat tour around the Miami waters. Star Island, celebrity homes, Millionaire’s Row, and the amazing downtown Miami skyline are all stops on the journey. And being driven by a USCG certified captain means that you can sit back and take in all the sights.
For a longer day out with more freedom to go where you like, rent a 26ft Sea Ray Bowrider for u[p to 10 people. With a wet bar and carry-on cooler drinks will not be a problem, and an extended swim platform makes taking a dip easy.
These are just a couple of the trips offered by Boat Rental Miami. There are more types of excursions, with or without a captain. Prices reflect this, as well as excursion length and the quality of the speed boat.
Not only does Boat Rental Miami have great deals, they also offer various discounts. Discounts are available to military personnel, members of the police and fire service, as well as students.
- Loads of rental options
- competitive price
- Captain and no-captain rental
- fuel charged upon return.
4. Aquarius Boat Tours Miami
Aquarius Boat Tours offers three speed boat options for seeing Miami by sea.
Their unique selling point is that despite being tours which require a captain, there are no set routes. This means that you and your party are the navigators with the captain at your command.
All speed boats cruise along at a max speed of 25mph. Fast enough to feel the wind in your hair, but not too fast to enjoy your beverage, which, by the way, is BYOB!
The first option is a 1 to 6 person 20ft sport boat. Perfect for you and a small group of your best buddies. The second speed boat rental is the 22ft fancy sport boat. Again it is a 1-6 person, but the extra few feet provide a little more comfort.
And the third option is the 28ft giant super sports boat. Fit up to 9 people aboard this baby and enjoy a large group speed boat day out.
- Fuel paid upfront.
- complete freedom – no set tours.
- No set tours means that you need to figure out your own route. This could be a downside for less adventurous people.
Now you are prepared for a Miami speed boat rental day put, just remember the key points that we mentioned:
- More often than not, you need to be 21 or older to rent
- Get your FWC Boaters Education Card
- Or if you’re from out of state, a temporary one